Dr Radford’s PHD thesis (Griffith University- Dec 2013) researching factors influencing Australian aged care employees’ intentions to stay to and leave an organisation.
- Organisational factors (working conditions, job satisfaction work environment, culture, management and supportive co-workers) were a good deal more important than personal factors in determining whether a person stayed or left, in fact the overwhelming majority of turnover intentions were influenced by what the organisation does.
- Workforce retention strategies influenced by the local environment and the employer having relevant knowledge about their staff.
- Organisational culture and support from Managers and the organisation were strong influencers in individual intentions to stay.
- The importance of investing in leadership training for Managers and Supervisors
- Pay was important but not as influential as other factors such as job satisfaction, security, a positive work environment and opportunities for career progression.
Read the full study here.